Thursday 7 August 2014

Green smoothie {low FODMAP}

My goal this year was to eat more veggies.

I thought I was eating plenty, but realised the odd carrot sticks throughout the day and stir fry at night doesn't really cut it. So first stop was trying to incorporate veggies with breakfast.

While having steamed spinach next to my bacon and eggs is delicious, it's not something I feel like everyday.

Enter green smoothies.

Very much a 'now' drink that's hip with the foodies and hipsters alike, I've actually come to really look forward to one each morning. Using whatever leafy green I have in the fridge and combining a few of my favourite ingredients, this is a great way of getting vitamins and minerals in your first meal of the day.

Here is one of my favourite combinations.



Serves 1

1/2 cup lactose free milk
1 tab chia seeds (optional)
1/2 frozen banana*
Handful spinach leaves
1 tab coconut oil
1 tab rice malt syrup (optional if you like it sweet)
2-3 ice cubes

Soak chia seeds in milk for 5-10min (I like to do this just before I get hair an makeup underway in the mornings).

Once soaked, combine all the ingredients in a food blender and process (just an ordinary one is fine, no Nutribullet for me).  A room temp banana is ok but if you can I recommend freezing overnight, it adds such an incredible creaminess to the smoothie.

Once blended pour into a tall glass. I like to have this with boiled eggs for quick and easy low FODMAP breakfast.

Enjoy!


*Remember in order to keep sugar down in your diet limit fruit intake to two serves per day. I love bananas but recently found out that the average sized banana counts as two serves due to its high sugar contents, yowch! So I've now started halving them before I wrap them up and popping them in the freezer. Turns out it's just as much flavour and half the sugar, win!

No comments:

Post a Comment