Friday 25 July 2014

Popcorn!


I'm always on the hunt for snacks to tied me over, particularly in the afternoon boredom in the office.

Now that I'm eating a balanced diet, i.e. vegetables and full fats with each meal, I'm starting to listen to my body to tell me when I'm actually hungry. That means not eating every two hours 'to keep our metabolism up' as we were told in the '90s. Eating a proper breakfast and lunch should mean you can go a good 4-6 hours without feeling hungry.

And without consuming sugar throughout the day I don't get that afternoon slump where a sweet pick me up is desperately needed. Having said that however, there are times when you know your next meal is a few hours away, and you need a snack on the run to get you through.

I love my Nutritious Muesli Bars for a filling snack, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something a bit more savoury, particularly in the afternoons. Welcome Popcorn!

Incredibly cost effective and a nutritious lil number popcorn contains whole grains, antioxidants and fibre. Note though I'm speaking of plain, natural kernels you pop yourself, not the prepackaged bags full of sugar, salt and preservatives. 

A bag of kernels from your supermarket cost around $1.30, and once popped creates around 25 serves. Thats around 5c per serve! Why wouldn't you!?


Makes 5 serves

1/2 cup popcorn kernels 
1 tab butter
Salt to taste 

Heat a saucepan on low heat and add butter. Melt butter and add kernels, cracking some sea salt in. 

Cover and increase heat as kernels start to pop rapidly. Once popping slows to it's last few pops remove from heat.

I like to store them in sealable bags in the pantry so I can grab them on the go. A perfect low FODMAP snack. 

Tip: I save my sealable bags after use and re-use them for popcorn the next week or so to cut down on packaging waste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment